- Team leader with knowledge of software engineering principles and an eye toward quality, scalability, and developer productivity.
- Breadth of knowledge across several stacks, build systems, roles, engineering practices, and project management.
- Maintained an active development role on multiple projects, including tech lead roles.
- Defined code-review process and best practices
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed multiple web applications across the whole stack, in both lead and support roles.
- Used Test-Driven Development, code reviews, and constant refactoring to keep the codebase clean and maintainable, and keep all developers familiar with codebase.
- Projects included rapid prototyping, greenfield development work, upgrades, work with legacy software, and rescue operations.
- Deployment and DevOps work for multiple projects including work with Debian, Ubuntu, Apache, Passenger, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, and others.
Card Gnome, Inc. (2010-2012)
Card Gnome is a greeting card company, specializing in direct-to-recipient delivery.
Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
- Instituted Behavior-Driven Development in order to improve communication between team members, automate the acceptance process, and improve product quality.
- Led team of four, developing an eCommerce application.
- Documented development processes, including tool installation, environment setup, version control usage & flow, and testing process.
- Provided technical support for customers and the artist community.
- Documented development practices and installation.
- Automated common development tasks: webserver & worker process, management, database control, logging, remote consoles, deployment.
StudioDBC was a web consultancy I co-founded, now defunkt.
- Worked directly with multiple small-business clients to deliver brand-driven web presence, eCommerce solutions, and miscellaneous technical solutions.
- Interfaced directly with clients and designer to develop specifications and acceptance criteria.
- Engineered web sites at every level—data models, business logic, rich user interface, and interaction.
- Developed custom, brand-specific WordPress themes for clients
- Developed several WordPress plugins to manage content, display slideshows, embed video, transform podcast feeds into xspf feeds, and manage reproducible page state with AJAX requests
- Used both Progressive Enhancement and Graceful Degradation to deliver excellent user experience on multiple browsers including multiple versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Mobile.
- Administered LAMP webservers, including configuration, security, and deployment.
I originally presented this talk in 2012 to the Las Vegas Ruby Group. The group was making our way through “The Rails 3 Way”, and I presented on ActiveRecord Migrations. Much of the information for this talk was taken from Chapter 6, and opined in person.